OBL Retail Forum
OBL Senior Retail Forum
The 2024 OBL Senior Retail Forum provides a platform for retail banking officers in Ohio and Illinois to join together to exchange ideas, dissect problems, discuss important issues and brainstorm solutions, as well as network and build lasting relationships with one another. The agenda for each session is based on input from participants in the forum group and the facilitator.
Benefits of the Forum
- Improve the profitability of the retail bank
- Get help from other bankers on your most pressing retail banking issues
- Receive recommendations on vendors and policy guidance
- Help others and expand your own knowledge
- Learn from the success and mistakes of others in your field
- Get tips on building high performing cultures
- Grow your team member engagement
- Keep up with current events
- Avoid regulatory surprises in bank exams
- Build your bank’s service excellence commitment
Please note: This is not a lecture series. Bankers who submit topics in advance of the forums, ask questions and actively engage in forum discussions to increase their own knowledge and/or help other members learn and grow, and proactively build relationships with their peers will derive the greatest benefit from this program.
The OBL Retail Forum includes three sessions that run from 10AM to 3PM at OBL Education Center (4215 Worth Ave, Ste 300) on:
- Thursday, April 4
- Thursday, July 25
- Tuesday, October 29
How the Forum Works
- The forum will meet three times a year
- Attendees are encouraged to submit topics of interest one to two weeks in advance of the forum date
- The forum agenda will be built around member submitted topics, as well as topics submitted by the facilitator and other Senior Retail Forum groups which meet across the country
- Hot topics and/or current events directly affecting retail banking will begin each agenda
- Supplemental documents will be provided by the facilitator to enhance the discussion or for later reference
- Each attendee’s contact information and relevant details (bank assets size, number of branches, core systems) will be shared with the group to enhance networking throughout the year
- There is no beginning date or end date to the forums. New attendees can register and join any session
- The facilitator and attendees will often walk away with action items to share best practices, policies and procedures and other helpful tools with the group after the forum
- An email group will be set up by the facilitator to foster the exchange of information between sessions
Who Should Attend?
- Senior Retail Banking Officers
- Chief Retail Officer
- Head Retail Officer
- Regional Sales and Service Manager
- Retail Training Director
- Retail Marketing Directors
- Head Retail/Deposit Operations Managers
Participants who are unable to attend a particular session are encouraged to send substitutes from their bank who they believe will benefit from the experience or will provide value to other attendees
Forum Discussion Topics
- Current Events: deposit rates and deposit growth strategies; addressing customer concerns about recent bank failures; overdraft/NSF Fees; NSF representments; FedNow; etc.
- Regulatory: recent loan exam findings; compliance best practices; regulatory amendments, implementation, and advisories; etc.
- People Issues: employee retention strategies; maximizing team member engagement; designing training programs; progressive discipline tools; coaching strategies; employee recognition programs; recruiting best practices; flexible work hours; help with job descriptions; etc.
- Sales and Service: customer service measurement tools; goal setting; incentives; sales and service standards and training; holding effective retail leadership team meetings; client communication best practices; accountability practices; business development strategies; etc.
- Operational: addressing internal and external fraud; branch remodels and opening strategies; safety and security; banking hours; customer service center staffing and responsibilities; etc.
- Technology: CRM software; core provider recommendations and conversion strategies; ITM recommendations and best practices; customer care center software; online banking and business online banking vendors and procedures; consumer loan platform recommendations; etc.
- Marketing and Product Development: leveraging word-of-mouth marketing; driving positive online reviews; effective deposit growth/retail loan growth strategies; CD and MMA products; vendor partnerships; workplace banking, etc.
- The Big Picture: strategies to grow bank profitability; organizational structure and culture alignment; partnering with other divisions to grow the bank; deepening client relationships; improving communication across departments; etc.
Performance Solutions, Inc. (PSI) is training and consulting company that has been a part of the banking community for over 35+ years. PSI specializes in providing solutions to the key challenges facing banks today in attracting and building profitable relationships with their customers. PSI's in-person, virtual and hybrid training and speaking engagements are described as energized, fast-paced, interactive and result-focused.
Christie Drexler is the Senior Consultant and Facilitator for Performance Solutions, Inc. Christie has over 26 years' experience in the financial industry for community, regional and national banks. Her experience has been expansive to
include beginning as a Management Associate, successfully navigating both retail, real estate, operations, treasury services, commercial banking careers and serving as Chief Retail Officer, Chief Credit Officer, and Market/Division President. Christie
is a passionate facilitator and coach with a focus on developing competent, caring and impactful leaders in all roles of banking.
Josh Collins has 12 years of banking experience serving in various leadership roles in retail banking, human resources and talent development. Josh’s background includes developing and facilitating banking, customer service, and leadership and culture development training programs. Josh is a graduate of The University of Georgia and is SHRM-CP certified. Josh enjoys equipping and encouraging bankers to grow their personal skillsets and build strong teams and cultures to maximize results for themselves and the banks they serve..
To register for the 2024 OBL Senior Retail Forum, click the registration button below.
Additional OBL Forums
Refunds for the program will be granted for cancellations received in writing to the OBL Professional Development Team seven days prior to each session. Cancellations will be subject to a $75 processing fee. No Refunds will be granted for cancellations received within seven days of the program. Substitutions are always welcome.
Contact Julie Kiplinger at 614-340-7612.
[Back To Top]