The OBL and Ohio banks have made a real push to champion diversity, equity and inclusion in recent years with the Summer Banking Institute one of several pillars supporting the industry’s efforts. The Association partnered with Central State University on this exciting career-development program aimed at promoting careers in banking among diverse students.
The 10-week immersive program, originally the brainchild of OBL member Union Savings Bank, trains and places more than 20 Central State students in banks around the region each year. The program includes four weeks of classroom instruction at the Central State campus on topics such as mortgage processing, retail banking, customer service, data management, monetary policy, and bank operations. The classroom experience is followed by training during a paid internship at member bank branches.
Other diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives include:
• Diversity of Boards – The OBL is identifying diverse leaders within the Ohio banking industry to ensure inclusion and the fullest range is represented around our governing tables.
• Event Program Content – Greater intentionality is being given to assemble diverse speakers at OBL events to convey the inclusiveness that the Association seeks to promote within the Ohio banking industry.
• Diversity Dialogues – This virtual program features noted experts and shares best practices, continuing the DEI conversation within the Ohio banking industry that was kicked off in 2020.
• Diverse Directors College – The OBL hosted an innovative new program geared toward attracting diverse individuals to bank boards of directors in partnership with each of the banking regulatory agencies.
• Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland Regional Banker DEI Group – The OBL has been invited to participate in a new initiative led by the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.